Kurt Cogswell, Department Head
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Architecture, Mathematics, and Engineering 209
Click here for additional information.
Secondary school mathematics educators need to be mathematicians as well as skilled educators, so the Mathematics Education Specialists take the same challenging core upper level mathematics courses as those math majors pursuing other professional goals. In addition to this rigorous mathematics curriculum, Mathematics Education Specialists take the full block of education courses. This program allows graduates to find meaningful careers in secondary education, as well as preparing students for graduate study.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the mathematics major with teaching specialization, students should be able to:
- Outcome #1: Demonstrate competence in all core areas of undergraduate mathematics.
- Outcome #2: Develop a career as a mathematics educator.
- Outcome #3: Use contemporary mathematical and presentation software and technology.
- Outcome #4: Apply pedagogical knowledge to allow them to grow as a teacher.
- Outcome #5: Communicate clearly and succinctly in writing in the discipline.
- Outcome #6: Articulate complex ideas to an audience.
A grade of “C” or above is required in all Math courses.
Accreditation, Certification, and Licensure
National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education Programs (NCATE)
South Dakota Department of Education
Certification and Licensure
With this major and the accompanying teacher education coursework required for teaching licensure, candidates are eligible to take the Praxis content tests, and apply for a teaching license in South Dakota. Students are required to take the agricultural content test, as well as the PRAXIS II Principles of Learning and Teaching test. The minimum score for the content and Praxis II PLT must be obtained for teaching licensure and varies by state.
Course Delivery Format
Program courses are delivered on campus, in classroom and laboratory settings, online, and at off campus attendance centers.