Kasiviswanathan Muthukumarappan, Interim Department Head, Distinguished Professor
Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering
Raven Precision Agriculture Center 136
David Wright, Department Head
Department of Agronomy, Horticulture, and Plant Science
Raven Precision Agriculture Center 140
The Precision Agriculture major prepares students for careers that bridge the gaps between agronomy, agriculture machinery management, and data sciences caused by the rapid evolution of high-speed sensor technology.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Precision Agriculture major, students will:
- Demonstrate foundational and specialized knowledge in crop management, environmental stewardships, and precision agriculture technologies and their integrations at local, regional, and global scales.
- Explore complex local, regional, and global issues using a precision agriculture perspective to formulate questions and draw informed conclusions that are based on critical scientific analysis and interpretation of information.
- Demonstrate economic and environmental proficiency in applying the proper principles and technologies of precision agriculture and to address socioeconomic issues in Agricultural sciences.
- Demonstrate the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and synthesize accurate digital field maps using specialized software and have the operational knowledge for specialized precision agriculture equipment, computers, and spreadsheet applications to produce meaningful management recommendations.
- Effectively communicate and demonstrate openness to new perspectives and diverse others, and demonstrate the ability to reassess their personal perspective within precision agriculture activities when appropriate.
Students must earn at least a C grade in each major required class and must earn at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA in the major required classes including PS 213 , PS 213L , ABS 475 , and ABS 475L .
Course Delivery Format
Instruction will occur through a combination of traditional classroom methods, laboratory exercises using current agricultural production technologies, and agricultural mapping software.