Rosie Nold, Professor and Assistant Department Head
Department of Animal Science
Animal Science Complex 116
The Animal Science program provides instruction in livestock breeding, feeding, management, selection, evaluation, and marketing, along with meat science, and equine studies. Courses emphasize the principles of genetics, nutrition, physiology, and meats as they affect production and management of livestock and animal products. Beef cattle, horses, sheep, and swine are the primary species discussed in courses.
The specializations allow students to focus their studies on Industry Relations, Production Management, Science, or Food Animal Health. The Production Management Specialization provides flexibility for students to complete courses and minors in related areas of interest. The Science and Food Animal Health Specializations are designed to meet course requirements of the Pre-Veterinary Medicine curriculum for the SDSU Professional Program in Veterinary Medicine and some other veterinary schools. In the Industry Relations Specialization students gain the fundamentals of animal science disciplines, paired with training in communication skills and leadership to enhance their opportunities in many animal and animal products based careers.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Animal Science major with a Industry Relations Specialization, students will:
- Acquire knowledge of the core sciences and best management practices that are the foundation of animal science and husbandry.
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills using a variety of mediums and with various audience types and apply techniques to critically evaluate communication strategies regarding animal agriculture.
- Demonstrate the ability to function as an effective member of a team.
- Develop fact-based comparisons of both sides of contemporary issues that impact diversity, inclusion, equity, and professional ethics as related to animal agriculture.
- Interpret, critically evaluate, and apply information in order to recognize problems and create solutions.
Course Delivery Format
The Animal Science program provides hands-on experiences in the classroom, laboratories, field trips, and at the livestock teaching units.