Rosie Nold, Associate Professor and Assistant Department Head
Department of Animal Science
Animal Science Complex 116
Click here for additional information.
The Animal Science program provides instruction in animal breeding, feeding and nutrition, management, selection and evaluation, marketing, meats, horses and wool. The specialization allows students to focus their studies on Industry or Science, with an emphasis on the principles of genetics, nutrition, physiology, range, and meats as they affect production and management of livestock.
Program courses pertain to beef cattle, horses, sheep, and swine and the applications of various disciplines to the breeding, feeding, management, and marketing of livestock and livestock products. Students interested in Veterinary medicine may supplement this program of study with the (Pre-) Veterinary Medicine curriculum.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Animal Science major with an Industry Specialization, students will:
- have knowledge of core science and technical information as applied to the animal and meat industries.
- be effective oral communicators using variety of mediums and with various audience types.
- be effective written communicators using a variety of mediums and with various audience types.
- apply critical thinking to find and evaluate quality information.
- recognize a problem, demonstrate adaptive thinking, and create solutions when faced with a new challenge.
- apply scientific principles and quantitative skills to animal industries in order to critically evaluate and interpret data and information.
- be able to assimilate information from multiple disciplines to develop effective management systems.
- have a working knowledge of current and emerging best management practices and technologies for the animal industries.
- have a working knowledge of animal welfare and applied animal husbandry skills.
- have knowledge of contemporary issues and potential ethical considerations and will be able to provide fact-based arguments on both sides of important issues.
Course Delivery Format
The Animal Science program provides hands-on experiences in the classroom, laboratories, field trips, and at the livestock teaching units.