James Clem, Department Head
Department of Pharmacy Practice
Avera Health and Science Center 263
James Clem, Janet Fischer, Dennis Hedge, Jodi Heins, Wendy Jensen Bender, Brad Laible, Michael Lemon, Kimberly Messerschmidt, Jane Mort, Joey Strain
Daniel Hansen, William Hayes, Thaddaus Hellwig, John Kappes, Brittney Meyer, Stacy Peters, Diedra Van Gilder
Jennifer Ball, Jordan Baye, Joe Berendse, Jeremy Daniel, Chamika Hawkins-Taylor, Amy Heiberger, Kazuhiko Kido, Kyle LaPorte, Alex Middendorf, Kari Taggart, Emily Van Klompenburg
Debra Farver, David Helgeland, Brian Kaatz, James E. Powers
The Department of Pharmacy Practice builds on the fundamentals of pharmaceutical sciences so that students gain the knowledge and expertise to become skilled pharmacy practitioners once they complete the Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree program. The department provides instruction for some of the courses leading up to the B.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences degree and is responsible for the majority of the curriculum in the last two years of the professional program (P3 and P4) leading to the Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree. The faculty members have practice sites in a wide array of pharmacy practice specialties and at a variety of locations providing students with a wealth of learning opportunities.
- To educate students in the various aspects of pharmacy practice, utilizing the principles of patient focused care, problem-based learning, and critical thinking.
- To work closely with the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences to deliver a quality program leading to the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in pharmaceutical sciences and the professional Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree.
- To excel in the University tripartite mission of: teaching/advising; research, scholarship, and creative activity; and service (assigned professional and general).
- To prepare pharmacy graduates capable of providing high quality patient-centered and population-based pharmacist care to the people of South Dakota, the region, the nation and the world.
* Graduate degrees are offered in collaboration with the Graduate School. For details, see the Graduate Catalog.
Facilities & Services
The Department of Pharmacy Practice is located in Avera Health and Science Center. The department provides service and outreach, including medication education to numerous healthcare organizations, health care professionals, and the general public throughout the state. The faculty is also involved in numerous research endeavors including collaborations on clinical trials of new medications and medication use, development of new and innovative pharmacy care delivery strategies, and study of innovative teaching approaches to improve the delivery of the pharmacy curriculum.