2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]
Secondary Teacher Education - Certification Only
Andrew Stremmel, Department Head
Department of Teaching, Learning, and Leadership
Wenona Hall 108
Click here for additional information.
The certification-only program allows those with baccalaureate degrees to earn a teaching certificate, preparing them for work as highly qualified professional educators in their chosen teaching areas. The curriculum consists of academic study, professional preparation and field experience, providing students with pedagogical and content-specific knowledge, readying them to work with diverse populations of learners.
Admission to the program requires a 2.5 CGPA; a 2.6 GPA in the major; and completion of English Composition, Speech, and College Algebra with no grade less than “C.” The following guidelines are applicable at all South Dakota Regental institutions:
- The teacher candidate must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- In order to be admitted to the certification only program, the candidate must meet teacher education program admission requirements. In addition, the candidate must complete the PRAXIS II content exam in his/her major as specified by the South Dakota Department of Education (SDDOE). The candidate must meet or exceed the minimum score required for certification in South Dakota.
- The candidate will complete all teacher certification courses as identified by the institution, including the appropriate special methods course but not to include other content major courses, and sit for the PRAXIS II Principles of Learning and Teaching exam.
- When the candidate meets the minimum required score on the PRAXIS II Principles of Learning and Teaching exam for certification in South Dakota and all other program completion requirements set forth by the institution, the institution will recommend the candidate for teacher certification.
- The SDDOE will maintain accountability for the candidate scores on the PRAXIS II content exam. The universities will maintain accountability for the candidate scores on the PRAXIS II Principles of Learning and Teaching exam.
- The certification only program is limited to K-12 specific content areas and 7-12 specific content areas.
Accreditation, Certification, and Licensure
National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education Programs
South Dakota Department of Education
Certification and Licensure
To seek certification and licensure, candidates who have completed their baccalaureate degree will complete the teacher education coursework are eligible to take the Praxis content tests, and apply for a teaching license in South Dakota. Students are required to take the PRAXIS II content test, as well as the PRAXIS II Principles of Learning and Teaching test. The minimum score for the Praxis II PLT must be obtained for teaching licensure and varies by state.
Course Delivery Format
Courses in Secondary Education are delivered face to face, online and hybrid (face to face and online combination). Most secondary education courses have practical applications in field experience settings in K-12 or 7-12.