2009-2010 Graduate Catalog 
    Apr 08, 2020  
2009-2010 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Educational Leadership

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees Offered


Curriculum and Instruction
This major is appropriate for K-12 classroom teachers, recreation program staff, adult and community educators, Cooperative Extension Service educators and junior/community college instructors. Within this major, the programs above are available.

Educational Administration
This major is designed to provide the basic professional preparation for those who expect to become qualified administrators in schools where certification is required, and for other institutions, businesses, industries and service-orientated agencies where an administrative program is of value. The South Dakota State Board of Education requires that in order to be endorsed, individuals must have three years of verified teaching experience on a valid teaching certificate in a K-12 school, one year of which includes classroom experience or direct services to student. The emphases above are presently available.


Available Options for Graduate Degrees

Master of Education:  Option B
                                   Option C

Core Requirements

For details see Educational Administration and Curriculum and Instruction (see below).

Educational Administration with Specialization in Elementary or Secondary Education

Meets requirements for a principalship endorsement on a South Dakota Teaching Certificate. Three years of verified experience on a valid certificate in an accredited K-12 school, one year of which includes classroom teaching experience or direct services to students.

Additional Admission Requirements

GRE: Not required
TOEFL: Department requirement of 550 paper-based, 213 computer-based, 79-80 Internet-based

Applicants must provide a resumé, goal statement, and two letters of professional reference to the Graduate School. Once all material is received, it is reviewed by the Department. Students are assigned an admission status of “unconditional,” “conditional” or “not admitted.”

General Requirements (Master’s Degree)

Graduate students should consult with their advisor before registering for graduate work.

See Master’s Degree Requirements

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees Offered