Omathanu Perumal, Department Head
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Avera Health and Science Center 275
Xiangming Guan, Omathanu Perumal, Shafiqur Rahman, Hemachand Tummala
Wenfeng An, Gudiseva Chandrasekher, Hesham Fahmy, Jayarama Gunaje, Teresa Seefeldt, Komal Raina
Gary S. Chappell, Chandradhar Dwivedi, Bernard Hietbrink, Joel E. Houglum, Danny Lattin, Yadhu Singh, Gary Van Riper
The Department focuses on a student-centered curriculum that provides a strong foundation in pharmaceutical sciences. In addition, the department has a strong undergraduate and graduate research program. These prepare graduates for academic, industry, and research careers in the US and other countries.
The highly talented and dedicated faculty members provide quality education and research training in the pharmaceutical sciences. The department has an active research program in cancer, cardiovascular, neuropharmacology, immunology, and eye diseases. The multidisciplinary research expertise includes medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, molecular biology, and pharmaceutics.
- Evolve the Pharm.D. curriculum to meet the changing needs of patients and the profession.
- Build on excellence in the Ph.D. program to meet the needs of the discipline.
- Expand postgraduate educational opportunities.
- Recruit, develop, and retain high quality faculty and staff.
- Increase pharmaceutical sciences-based innovative and translational research and scholarship.
- Pharmaceutical Sciences (Ph.D.)*
* Graduate degrees are offered in collaboration with the Graduate School. For details, see the Graduate Catalog.
Facilities & Services
The department is housed in the Avera Health and Science Center. The department is fully equipped with state of the art-equipment for conducting pharmaceutical and biomedical research. The faculty have individual research laboratories in the Avera Health and Science Center. The department also has a shared cell culture and research instrumentation facility. The department has collaborative partnerships with Sanford Research and Avera Research. The department provides services to companies through facility-user agreements and continues to seek strategic partnerships with other Universities, research institutions, and the pharmaceutical industry.