Lt Col Brian Schroeder, Department Head
Department of Aerospace Studies / AFROTC
Box 2236 DePuy Military Hall
Bethany Gross, Douglas Rolfes
The Department of Aerospace Studies is dedicated to training college students for successful careers as officers in the United States Air Force. The department is home of Air Force ROTC Detachment 780 at South Dakota State University. The detachment has a long history of providing leaders for the nation’s Air Force. The AFROTC leadership development program is open to students in any major and is of long-range value whether one pursues a military or civilian career.
Facilities & Services
The department’s administrative offices are located in Room 100, DePuy Military Hall at SDSU’s main campus in Brookings, South Dakota.
Student Support & Engagement Opportunities
Air Force ROTC scholarships are available for qualified undergraduate students. These scholarships pay full tuition and fees at SDSU, $900 per year for textbooks, and a monthly stipend ranging from $300 to $500 per month. All non-scholarship students in the Professional Officer Course who are on contract with Air Force ROTC qualify for the monthly stipend ranging from $450 to $500. Non-scholarship students, in their last two years of AFROTC, who are South Dakota residents may qualify for up to 50% reduced tuition through a program sponsored by the South Dakota Board of Regents.
In addition to military and academic training, students have opportunities to travel, connect with veterans, and serve the local community.
- Flying Irish AFROTC Basketball Tournament - Annually the cadets will take a trip to The University of Notre Dame and compete in a basketball tournament with other ROTC detachments from across the country.
- Royal Blue Drill Team - Cadets have an opportunity to work with the drill team. Upon proving proficiency they perform at various ceremonies in the local community.
- Veterans Vigil - Cadets guard the Brookings Veterans Memorial to honor America’s military members on Veterans’ Day.
- Professional Development - Opportunities at various bases and locations throughout the United States.
- Paid summer internships at locations such as Air Force Research Labs and Lawrence Livermore Labs
- Project Go – Scholarships to study critical languages.