2011-2012 Graduate Catalog 
    May 06, 2021  
2011-2012 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Financial Information/Student Services


Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.


Tuition and Fees*



Tuition, per credit hour Cost
Graduate Resident
Graduate Non-Resident
Graduate Assistant, graduate course

$ 57.70

Fees, per credit hour
University Support Fee, Activity Fee


Internet, Distance & Centers $368.00
Internet - Graduate Assistant $254.00

* Rates are based on the 2011-2012 school year. Tuition and fees are subject to change each semester. For any question regarding fees and/or tuition, contact the Cashier’s Office at 605-688-6116 or refer to the Course Schedule book for each semester’s fee schedule.

Activity Fee - A fee charged per semester to cover health, Student Union and other University services, such as: admission to plays, athletic events, athletic facilities, and partially funded judging, music and forensic programs.

University Support Fee - A fee assessed per credit to replace expendable supplies, to defray the cost of equipment (maintenance, repair and replacement), and to allow for testing and other instruction-related costs. This fee also assists in providing services that benefit students which are not funded from other sources.

Late Charge - A fee charged if tuition and fees are not paid during the regular established payment periods. Failure to satisfy financial obligations when due may result in a student’s administrative withdrawal from the University.

Residency Requirements - In order to establish residency for tuition purposes you must live in South Dakota for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding the first scheduled day of classes of the semester.  Attendance at the college or university controlled by the Board of Regents does not count in determining the twelve (12) month period of residence.

Qualifications for residency for tuition purposes may be obtained by writing the Director of Admissions, SDSU, Box 2201, Brookings, SD  57007.

Payment Process


By the third day of classes, each student must make a full payment of charges based on the number of credits registered, residency status, and campus housing. Late fees will be assessed starting on the fourth (4th) day of classes. Students are encouraged to mail payment before registration day.

Payment of tuition and fees can be made directly to the University by cash, check or electronic bank transfer.

Payment of tuition and fees using a debit or credit card can only be made through SDePay, electronic billing and payment system. Discover, American Express or MasterCard credit/debit card are accepted by SDePay. Visa Card is not accepted. A 2.75% convenience fee is assessed by and payable to infiNET, host provider of SDePay. For more information or to make a payment, please contact 605-688-6116.

All student accounts which the University is unable to collect will be submitted to a collection agency for collection and referred to a credit reporting bureau.  The debtor will be respoinsible for all collection fees and attorney fees resulting from collection of an account.

Electronic Billing and Electronic Payment of Tuition and Fees


All tuition, fees, housing, food service and miscellaneous charges to student accounts will be on an electronic billing (eBilling) system and can be viewed on a secured Web site via the Internet. Payment of the student account can also be made electronically (ePayment) through the secure website. Students can authorize parents, spouse and other individuals to view the eBill and make ePayment on their student account. For additional information on eBilling and ePayment, please contact 605-688-6116.

E-mail messages sent by SDSU to students through university-assigned, jacks e-mail addresses will constitute an official means of communication. It is the student’s responsibility and obligation to access official university e-mail messages in a timely manner. As other email accounts may be blocked by the SDSU firewall, SDSU is only able to monitor student e-mails coming from university-assigned e-mail accounts.

Campus Card Debit System - Hobo Dough


The student identification card can be used as a debit card to access prepaid accounts. In addition to its extensive use in the food service system, the ID card accesses prepaid accounts, called HOBO DOUGH, for bookstore, campus vending, laundry, photocopying and printing, and selected off-campus businesses. Upon graduation or leaving the University, these funds will be returned in full upon request. No service charges are assessed for active accounts. However, accounts inactive for six (6) months or more are assessed a monthly service charge. If the service charge exceeds the account balance, the account is automatically closed.

Fees for Auditing Courses


Regular tuition and fees, per credit, will be charged for auditing a course. Registration as an auditor is by petition. Auditing courses will be a matter of record (recorded on the academic transcript). Grades will be designated by the instructor as Audit Pass (AUP) or Audit Fail (AUF). Audit courses are not counted in calculating undergraduate or graduate full-time student status.

Thesis and Dissertation Fees


Students are responsible for paying all binding and electronic submission fees associated with their thesis or dissertation. Contact the Graduate School for acceptable payment forms and deadlines.

Fellowships and Assistantships


Application - Students receiving assistantship appointments must meet the academic requirements established by the Graduate School for admission (minimum 2.75 GPA, either cumulative or Junior/Senior, or complete a minimum of nine (9) graduate credits with grades of B or above and must maintain a 3.0 Plan of Study GPA).  Graduate assistant’s must be enrolled in at least one credit of graduate work except for students who are on summer assistantships immediately following assistantships held the previous academic year.  Graduate assistant’s who graduated in May are not eligible for assistantships for the following summer unless they officially begin a doctoral program.  International graduate students receiving graduate assistantships must have sufficient English proficiency to perform the duties assigned.  Ordinarily, this will be interpreted to mean successful scores on the TOEFL examination or completion of remediation for any deficiencies; however, it may also involve further assessment and observation by a department head relative to a classroom teaching role.


International Student Summer Credit Requirements


Full Time Enrollment required when the Summer Session is an International Students’s First Semester

According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), international students who begin their studies during a summer session must be enrolled full time in order to maintain their F1/J1 status. It is a violation of USCIS regulations to permit an international student to begin a program and only register for 1 credit the first semester they are here. Beginning the Summer Session 2013, Graduate Programs (that intend to admit international students for the summer session/term) must ensure that students will be able to enroll in enough credits to maintain their full time status. Students without an assistantship would need to register for 9 credits. Students with an assistantship would need to enroll in the appropriate number of credits corresponding with the percentage of their assistantship. (For example, Graduate Students with a 49% assistantship must enroll in 5 credits.) International students are allowed to register for less than a full time course load during all subsequent Summer Terms. This policy only pertains to international students who are beginning their programs during a summer term.


Financial Aid


Student financial assistance programs are administered through the student Financial Aid Office in SAD 100. They may be contacted at 605/688-4695 for more information. Graduate assistantships, fellowships, and traineeships are administered by the department or program involved.

Student Services


Detailed information on Student Life and Services is found in the General Catalog (Undergraduate Catalog).

Academic Evaluation and Assessment Office- Students needing testing information (GRE, TOEFL, etc.) should contact this office located in the Foundation Building, (920 9th Street, north entrance), telephone 605/688-4217.

Bookstore - The University Bookstore sells textbooks, merchandise and other supplies. Located in the University Student Union and can be contacted by calling 605/688-6392 or go to www.sdstatebookstore.com/.

Disability Services - Assistance is available for students with disabilities. Information is available by calling 605/688-4504, TTD 688-4394, or e-mail SDSU.Disabilityservices@sdstate.edu.

Health and Counseling Services - Student Health and Counseling Services provides outpatient services and is located in the Wellness Center. Call 605/688-4157 for more information or to schedule an appointment.

Housing and Food Service - Prospective graduate students should inquire about rooms or apartments from the Director of Residential Life, well in advance of registration. The Residential Life Office is located in Caldwell Hall 167, telephone 605/688-5148. Information concerning “Roommates Wanted” is available from the University Student Union Information Desk, telephone 605/688-5916.

International Student Affairs - International students should consult with the International Student Affairs Office concerning special requirements and additional expenses, University Student Union 065, telephone 605/688-4122.  Please review the information on the Estimated Table of Costs 2010-2011 prior to contacting the International Student Affairs Office.

Library, Hilton M. Briggs - In addition to its vast and varied collections, library services include computer workstations, study/conference rooms for student use, individual study rooms for faculty and graduate students, a resource room for the visually impaired, and computer labs. A founding member of the South Dakota Library Network, Briggs Library can search approximately 4.3 million titles for interlibrary loan from other member institutions. In addition, interlibrary loan services are available from thousands of other libraries worldwide.

Native American Student Advising - The Native American Student Advisor is available to assist Native American students and is located in the University Student Union 065, telephone 605/688-5585.