2009-2010 Undergraduate Catalog 
    Aug 17, 2022  
2009-2010 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Academic Changes

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

Auditing a Course


Registration as an auditor in a course may be permitted. No credit is given. The audit fee is the established tuition and fee rate. Registration for audit may be accomplished only after registration day by presenting an Audit/Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory form to the Registrar’s Office, SAD 310.

Auditing courses by graduate and undergraduate students will be a matter of record (recorded on their academic transcript). An AU grade is given for Audit. This grade does not calculate into the semester or cumulative grade point average. Audit courses are counted as part of the 19 hour rule for overloads. Audit courses are not counted in calculating undergraduate or graduate full-time student status.

Drop-Add Procedure

  1. Dropping or adding courses should be discussed with your faculty adviser. See your semester course schedule for drop-add procedures.
  2. The drop/add period is the time period during which students may adjust their academic schedule for the term without financial or academic consequences. The last day of the drop/add period for a course is designated as the census date for that course and is the official date for enrollment reporting. The end of the drop and add period for standard and non-standard courses offered in a semester shall be the date the first 10 percent of the term ends or the day following the first class meeting, whichever is later. When calculating 10% of the term, breaks of five or more days are not included when counting the total number of days but Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays are. Student registrations can only be added to courses after the end of the drop and add period by approval of the chief academic officer (or designee) of the university.
  3. You should not discontinue enrollment in a class without processing discontinuance via the official drop procedure. An “F” will be recorded for an unofficial drop.

Grades for dropped courses

Undergraduate and graduate students who drop a course, or withdraw from the System, shall receive a grade of “W” if that action occurs anytime between the day after the census day for that course and the day that corresponds with the completion of 70 percent of the class days for that course. Likewise, a student who withdraws from the system during that time period also shall receive grades of “W” for all the courses in which he/she is registered. (Exception: a student who completely withdraws from the Regental system from the first day of a class(es) until the census date of the class(es) will also have a pseudo course of WD 101 (Undergraduate) or WD 801 (graduate) with a “W” grade entered on their Transcript.) (Refer to Board of Regents policy 5:7.2) For standard classes, the last day to receive a grade of “W” is determined by calculating 70 percent of the class meeting days in the term, counting from the first day of classes in the term and rounding up if the calculation produces a fractional value greater than or equal to 0.5.

For any non-standard course, the last day to receive a grade of “W” is based on the number of class meeting days for the course, using the method described above.

A notation of the date of withdrawal will be included on the student’s transcript if he/she withdraws from the system. (Refer to Board of Regents policy 5:7.2)

Students may not drop a course or withdraw from the System after the time period specified above. (Refer to Board of Regents policy 5:7.2)

Similar proportional dates would be established by the Registrar’s Office for summer, interim and other courses taught outside of the normal nine-month academic year.

If extenuating circumstances (i.e., illness) have prevented class participation, a petition for an individual drop may be filed.

Repeated Courses


All courses taken appear on the student’s academic record, but when a course is repeated, only the most recent grade is calculated into the cumulative GPA. This policy applies to both undergraduate and graduate coursework. Relative to number of repeats allowed:

  1. A student may enroll in an undergraduate course (for which credit is granted only once) no more than three times without permission of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
  2. A student may enroll in a graduate course (for which credit is granted only once) no more than two times without permission of the Dean of the Graduate School.
  3. A student will be allowed unlimited enrollments in an undergraduate or graduate course for which credit toward graduation may be received more than once. An institution may limit the number of credit hours for courses that may be taken more than once that apply toward the requirments for a major. (BOR Policy 2:8:3D)

You should notify the Registrar’s Office, SAD 310, when a course, whether failed or passed, is repeated.

Petitions and Appeals


South Dakota State University has an established University Petition Process for students to follow in seeking exceptions to established academic and administrative policies.

There are four areas of appeal: Drop/Add Appeals, Academic Appeals, Graduation Appeals, and Financial Appeals.

The petition process begins with the student obtaining a University Petition form from the Registrar’s Office and then processing it through the appropriate steps as indicated on the petition form.



Those finding it necessary to withdraw from the University are urged to consult with a faculty adviser to work out the best plan possible. You must then contact the Registrar’s Office, SAD 310 to process a withdrawal. Those who leave the University without processing an official withdrawal will be reported as having failed the semester’s work. Grades transcripted are based on the date of application for withdrawal. A student may withdraw from the University until 70% of instruction has been completed (See date published in Semester Course Schedule). After that date, if extenuating circumstances (i.e., illness) have prevented class participation, a petition for withdrawal may be filed through the Office of Academic Affairs.

A student is considered withdrawn during a term if classes have begun and:

  1. The student has registered for at least one course and the student has initiated withdrawal from all state-support and self-support courses at all Regental universities in which the student was actively enrolled at the time of withdrawal, including courses in progress as well as those that have not yet begun, or;
  2. The Regental home university has completed withdrawal procedures for administrative reasons including, without limitation, non-payment of tuition and fees or disciplinary sanctions.
  3. Students enrolled in two or more Regental universities pursuant to financial aid consortia will be eligible for refunds as set forth herein only if they withdraw, drop out or are expelled from all classes at all Regental universities for which they have enrolled.

Students who withdraw or are expelled from the Regental system within the drop/add period receive a 100 percent refund of tuition and per credit hour fees. Students who withdraw or are expelled from the Regental system after the date the first 10 percent of the term ends for the period of enrollment for which they are assessed may be entitled to a prorated refund.