Office of Continuing and Distance Education
Bob Thaler, Professor and Extension Swine Specialist
Department of Animal Science
Animal Science Complex 114
Swine Science is an inter-institutional undergraduate certificate program designed to prepare academically trained students entering the pork industry in such areas as sales and communications, construction, production management, and pharmaceuticals. Upon completion of the required and elective courses, students will be able to apply for a Swine Science Online Certificate from the U.S. Pork Center of Excellence.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students earning a certificate in Swine Science will be able to:
- integrate disciplines and concepts in order to facilitate problem solving, creating a more efficient and sustainable production system.
- combine scientific principles and management skills involved in pork production.
- recognize available career opportunities within the pork industry.
- apply personnel, facility, fiscal, and livestock management.
- perform basic swine husbandry.
- understand the impact of societal and industry issues on production management systems.
- explain the pork structure and trends, including production, packing, and integration.
Course Delivery Format
The fully-online programs of the Great Plains IDEA provide flexibility, enabling students to balance career advancement with professional, social and financial commitments. AG*IDEA, an affiliate of the Great Plains IDEA, is a national consortium of land grant universities offering programs and courses in agriculture disciplines.