Marlene Schulz, Instructor
Department of Sociology & Rural Studies
Hansen Hall 004
Click here for additional information.
Social and Human Services as a field of study encompasses course work associated with Social Work, Sociology, and Psychology providing students with an opportunity to learn about the organizations and agencies which provide social and human services, the evolution of the skills, programs, and approaches used to provide these services, and a background in the social and psychological conditions that impact people seeking those services. The minor will prepare students with an understanding of the social and human services work environments and key approaches to providing human services. Students will learn basic skills and tools used in agencies providing these services. Actual experience in a service learning context or through an internship will provide them with a practical understanding of the work environment. Finally, students develop an understanding of the importance of appreciating diversity and inclusion to their placements.
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates with a minor in Social and Human Services will be able to:
- describe the historical roots of the Human Services field;
- understand the interdisciplinary nature of the field of human services;
- apply the philosophy, theories, and methods of Human Services to clients’ problems;
- articulate the major policy issues and social conditions that are currently confronting Human Services;
- explain how conceptual frameworks guide Human Service practice;
- communicate various ways in which Human Service programs are funded, organized, administered and evaluated;
- demonstrate the ability to think critically, listen attentively, and communicate effectively;
- demonstrate the interpersonal skills necessary to establish genuine, empathic, and ethical relationships;
- demonstrate competence in evidence-based prevention, intervention, and evaluation;
- demonstrate the behaviors of a healthy helping professional.
Course Delivery Format
The program offers coursework on campus, on-line, and at attendance centers around the state.