Omathanu Perumal, Department Head
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Avera Health and Science Center 275
Xiangming Guan, Omathanu Perumal, Shafiqur Rahman
Wenfeng An, Gudiseva Chandrasekher, Hesham Fahmy, Jayarama Gunaje, Teresa Seefeldt, Hemachand Tummala
Gary S. Chappell, Chandradhar Dwivedi, Bernard Hietbrink, Joel E. Houglum, Danny Lattin, Yadhu Singh, Gary Van Riper
The Department focuses on a student-centered curriculum that provides a strong foundation in pharmaceutical sciences. In addition, the department has a strong undergraduate and graduate research program. These prepare graduates for academic, industry, and research careers in the US and other countries.
The highly talented and dedicated faculty members provide quality education and research training in the pharmaceutical sciences. The department has an active research program in cancer, cardiovascular, neuropharmacology, immunology, and eye diseases. The multidisciplinary research expertise includes medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, molecular biology, and pharmaceutics.
- Enhance the quality of the professional and graduate programs through engaged learning, a welcoming community and innovative teaching and learning environment.
- Recruit, develop and retain high quality faculty.
- Conduct quality research and generate scholarship that contributes to economic development and advancement of societal wellbeing.
- Enhance and expand the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences involvement in service and outreach.
- Maintain the infrastructure and resources necessary to support and develop high quality programs.
- Pharmaceutical Sciences (Ph.D.)*
* Graduate degrees are offered in collaboration with the Graduate School. For details, see the Graduate Catalog.
Facilities & Services
The department is housed in the Avera Health and Science Center. The department is fully equipped with the state of the art-equipment for carrying out pharmaceutical and biomedical research. The faculty have individual research laboratories in the Avera Health and Science Center. The department also has a shared cell-culture and research instrumentation facility. The department has collaborative partnerships with Sanford Research and Avera Research. The department provides services to companies through facility-user agreement and continues to seek strategic partnerships with other Universities, research institutions and pharmaceutical industries.