Lyle Olson, Interim Department Head
Department of Journalism and Mass Communication
Yeager Hall 211
Roxanne Lucchesi, Lyle Olson
Jessica Bertapelle, Brian Britt, Rebecca Britt, Rocky Dailey, Teri Finneman
Terry L. Harris, James Helland
Mary Arnold, Charles Cecil, Jack Getz, Doris Giago, Ruth Laird, Richard Lee, Mary Perpich
South Dakota State University’s Department of Journalism and Mass Communication’s mission is educating the next generation of media professionals – including journalists, advertising and public relations practitioners, teachers and researchers. To fulfill our land-grant university mission, the Department works with advertising, journalism, and public relations professionals, along with scholastic journalism, community and Native American partners through experiential learning and other endeavors.
The Department is accredited by the national accrediting body of journalism and mass communication, the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC). The Department has been accredited continuously since accrediting began in 1948.
- Mass Communication (M.M.C.)
- Communication Studies and Journalism (M.S.) - Journalism Specialization
* Graduate degrees are offered in collaboration with the Graduate School. For details, see the Graduate Catalog.
Facilities and Services
The former Printing and Rural Journalism Building was renamed Yeager Hall in recognition of the contributions of Anson and Ada May Yeager. Mr. Yeager was longtime editor of the Argus Leader in Sioux Falls. The Department moved into expanded and renovated facilities in 2000 that cost $2.4 million. The Yeager Media Center, completed in 2012, is a high-definition television and new media facility and the primary center for SDSU campus television and media production. Newly remodeled classrooms enhance teaching space in the modern educational facility. The Joe L. Floyd News Media Laboratory is connected to digital video and audio production suites. The second floor of Yeager Hall includes a conference room, a reading room, a student lounge, and individual offices for the Department’s faculty members.
Student Support and Engagement Opportunities
Students are invited to participate in one of the student organizations advised by faculty in the Department:
- Advertising Club (Advised by Professor Roxanne Lucchesi)
- Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow (Advised by Lora Berg and Professor Lyle Olson)
- Journalism Club (Advised by Assistant Professor Teri Finneman and Instructor Jim Helland)
- Public Relations Student Society of America (Advised by Assistant Professor Jessica Bertapelle)