Application for Admission to a Degree Program
Processing of an application will begin only when the application form, application fee, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and test data as required by department are received in the Graduate School. If an applicant fails to complete the application file for the term proposed to begin graduate work, a new date of entry will need to be specified.
Complete application files will include:
- Complete, signed application form. Please fill in requested information by typing or printing in ink. An application form is included at the back of this catalog.
- $35.00 application fee. This fee is charged to degree-seeking students only, and is nonrefundable regardless of what action is taken on the application for admission.
- Official transcripts from each higher education institution attended. The Graduate School will access all South Dakota regental transcripts, but the student must furnish all those from non-regental institutions. The earned Bachelor’s Degree must be noted on the undergraduate transcript. When an incomplete transcript is furnished in support of the application, a complete transcript will be required by the end of the first semester of coursework.
- Letters of recommendation. Two letters of recommendation are required from persons acquainted with the applicant’s academic record. Three letters are required of applicants into the Nursing or Family Financial Planning programs. For CHRD, please contact the department for the recommendation forms. Signed letters of recommendation may be submitted on plain paper or letterhead, if desired, or recommenders may use the forms included in the back of this catalog.
- The GRE test is required of all applicants into Biology, Chemistry (strongly recommended), English, Microbiology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Plant Science, and Wildlife and Fisheries.
- Some programs require additional admission materials. Applicants should consult the specific requirements for each program.
- The TOEFL score is required of all international students. This score must be an original score, a copy of a verifiable score, or a certified copy of the original score sheet.
- Proof of immunity for Measles (Rubeola) and Rubella are required for all new, re-admit, and transfer students at all state institutions. (If you were born before January 01, 1957, you are exempt from this requirement.) Please contact Student Health Services at 605/688-6146 for further information.
- Applications and all related documents should be mailed to:
South Dakota State University
Administration Bldg., Room 130
Brookings, SD 57007-1998
For an application, click on http://www3.sdstate.edu/Academics/GraduateSchool/FormsandDocuments/.